The heart of this project is a photoresistor. A photoresistor is a type of resistor with resistance varying according to the light that strikes its surface. The project’s result is a LED which is automatically turned on when the lights go off.
The project is an introduction to photoresistors.
- You see how breadboards, resistors, photoresistors, transistors and LEDs look like .
- You understand how breadboard works.
- You understand the difference between schematic and real circuit.
- You understand that sensors are input devices.
- You understand what a photoresistor does.
- You can notice a role for transistors.
This is the circuit of the project.
You can see a way to set up the circuit on the breadboard. Remember, there are many correct ways to transfer a circuit on the breadboard.
- The transistor works as a variable resistor controlled by current. It lets current to pass from collector to emitter according to the current that flows from base to emitter.